Last winter was filled with snow and ice, and many homeowners across the northeast are wondering if we’re in for another tough winter in 2015.
One of the simplest and most effective means of combating the frigid cold weather is by spreading rock salt and other ice melting materials across surfaces that may be likely to freeze over and create dangerous conditions.
Considering how unpredictable the weather can be in the months leading up to and throughout the winter season, it’s best to plan ahead and purchase your rock salt in advance.
Last winter we worked with countless homeowners and businesses to assist them with their rock salt needs. Some of their most common questions were:
- How much does rock salt cost?
- How much rock salt should I buy?
- How can I make sure I’m getting a fair price?
To address these questions and more, our team of rock salt experts has put together this guide to tackle how much rock salt costs and how to find the right product for your needs.
Factors that Impact Rock Salt Cost
Some of the most common reasons for variations in rock salt cost include:
- Brand – As with any type of product, the brand name of the rock salt that you’re considering will play a contributing role in how much the overall price tag will be. Despite the fact that most brands work to keep their prices relatively similar in order to remain competitive within the marketplace, you will notice slight fluctuations.
- Function – What sort of function will your rock salt need to perform? For some home and business owners, a basic rock salt that will keep slick surfaces at bay is all that is really needed. These fundamental products may cost less than other ice melting materials that are designed to reduce any residue that may be tracked indoors, rock salt that is specifically engineered to be safe for children or to protect the paws of dogs and other pets, or products that are intended to minimize any harmful impact on the environment.
- Melting Capabilities – As you calculate your rock salt cost, you’ll also need to take the melting power of your product under consideration. Depending on the chemical makeup of the ice melting material, it may or may not be able to perform below a certain temperature benchmark. The difference between a product that works at -25 degrees, for example, may cost more than a product that only works down to -15 degrees.
- Availability – As you may recall, the cold and icy weather from last season lasted well into 2014. As a result, many people were required to purchase large amounts of rock salt in order to keep their properties safe and clear from ice formation. This ultimately led to a rock salt shortage. Because the demand for the product was larger than the supply available, many suppliers raised the price of their rock salt. In order to get the best and lowest rock salt cost, it’s best to anticipate your need and purchase the product ahead of time so that you don’t have to worry about spending more when the winter is harsh.
- Amount Purchased – Always consider how much rock salt you’ll actually need as you budget for winter supplies. If you’re not sure how much material will be required to cover your surface area, consult with a professional. For those with very large properties such as parking lots and commercial driveways, though, you’re likely going to need to order in bulk. You’ll find that purchasing rock salt by the pallet will result in a discount over buying by the bag or bucket.
Getting the Most Bang For Your Buck
In order to ensure that your rock salt cost fits with your budget, it’s smart to take the time to discuss your specific needs with a professional that you can trust. This will allow you to purchase the rock salt with the proper melting power and safety benefits that you require.
Choosing a Rock Salt Supplier
One of the keys to getting the most out of your investment in rock salt involves finding a high-quality supplier like Braen Supply. At both of our convenient NJ locations we offer a variety of different types of rock salt and ice melt to ensure that you’ll be able to find exactly what you’re looking for.
Even if you’re not sure which kind you need, our team of experts is ready and able to provide you with the advice and information that you need to make an educated decision. We work hard to keep your rock salt cost as low as possible, offering competitive wholesale pricing every day. You’ll find our products available by the bag, pallet and truckload for pick-up or bulk delivery throughout NJ, NY, PA and CT.
Photo courtesy of Bangor Daily News.