If anything can be learned from the winter we had last year, it’s that it’s always wise to be ready with the tools that are needed to remain safe when the temperatures drop.
Because the cold dragged on longer than expected, suppliers began to run out of rock salt and consumers suffered.
In order to avoid getting stuck in a bind this year, it’s smart to find a rock salt distributor that can help you stock up in advance. To get you into gear, here’s some helpful information on how to choose rock salt distributors, and how to prepare for another extensive winter.
Characteristics of the Best Rock Salt Distributors
As you start to make plans for the winter season, it’s important that you’re able to pick out the best rock salt distributors from the rest. Here’s what you should be looking for:
- Experienced, Professional Staff – Because everyone has their own diverse ice melting requirements, it’s extremely important that your distributor is able to listen to your needs and offer up advice on which products will work best for you. This means turning to a business that employs only the most seasoned professionals – a team of industry experts who are passionate about connecting users with their ideal rock salt.
- Carries a Large Inventory of Ice Melt – Not only do the biggest rock salt distributors have plenty of rock salt on hand to sell to its customers, but they also have a variety of different types of rock salt and ice melting materials. You should be able to select from a supply of rock salt that works in multiple types of climates and that suit a number of different functions. In addition to this, you should have the option to choose how to purchase your rock salt, whether by the bag, pallet, or truckload.
- Offers Competitive Pricing – When demand for rock salt is high, many distribution companies will inflate the price of the products that they sell in order to make a healthy profit. A reputable supplier, on the other hand, will always take pride in offering its clientele the fairest pricing possible.
- Provides Bulk Delivery Services – Venturing out in the winter to pick up a truckload of ice melt can be a huge burden. Be on the lookout for rock salt distributors who can bulk deliver the materials to your location.
Tips for Using and Storing Rock Salt
Good rock salt distributors will have the knowledge to offer valuable advice that will enable you to get the most out of your rock salt and other ice melting products.
Here’s a quick look at some of the most useful tips, but be sure to talk to a trusted distributor for more specific and detailed information:
- Buy Early – Waiting to purchase rock salt until the first big winter storm of the season is too late. Harsh weather conditions will trigger a surge in demand for various de-icing products, resulting in a short supply and increased difficulty in tracking down rock salt. It’s best to anticipate your seasonal needs during the autumn months and purchase your materials well in advance. Talking to a professional can help you calculate how much rock salt you should stock up on.
- Store Properly – Once you have your supply of ice melt, you’ll need to follow proper storage techniques in order to keep it in good condition. Moisture is the number one enemy of rock salt. Be sure to keep your rock salt in an area that is sealed off from water, runoff and other sources of moisture. Storage conditions should also be maintained at or above 20 degrees Fahrenheit to avoid clumping.
- Apply Smart – Don’t make the mistake of over-applying your rock salt. Excessive amounts of ice melt won’t improve performance, but will deplete your stockpile and cause you to waste money.
- Develop Strong Relationships – Never underestimate the value of developing a solid relationship with trusted rock salt distributors. This is advantageous to you as you’ll be able to seek out trusted advice from your supplier about various products and application techniques. You may also find that when you’re on friendly terms with a distributor, it’s easier to track down scarce rock salt materials during a shortage.
There’s no reason for you run out of rock salt this coming season. By working with the best rock salt distributors and planning ahead, you’ll be prepared no matter what happens.
Photo courtesy of Victoria Cavaliere | Reuters. (Eduardo Munoz Reuters)