As soon as the weather starts to cool off, we start getting calls from homeowners, business owners and contractors who are curious about our rock salt prices. These savvy customers are trying to forecast their budgets in advance and get prepared for the cold and wet weather ahead of us.
Of course the answers to these questions vary based upon the type of rock salt the buyer is interested in purchasing as well as how much they will need in order to get them through the season.
This comprehensive guide will give you a better idea about which ice melting products are available in bulk and how to estimate how much you’ll need to spend.
Bulk Rock Salt Available in NJ
The following types of rock salt and ice melt can be purchased by the pallet or the truckload:
- Halite – Halite, which is another name for sodium chloride, is the type of rock salt that is most frequently purchased in bulk. It’s simple to use, highly effective and one of the most affordable materials available on the market. You’ll find that while Halite costs $7.39 when purchased by the bag, you’ll enjoy savings when buying in bulk as a full pallet of ice melt yields materials at $6.42 per bag.
- Ice Patrol – Ice Patrol is a popular brand of rock salt that is also low-cost for superior melting power. Each 50lb. bag costs $6.42 per full pallet ($7.39 per individual bag when less than a full pallet is purchased).
- Safer Than Salt Commercial – For school campuses, parks and homes with the need for larger quantities of rock salt, the safety of the materials for use around children is of extreme importance. Safer Than Salt is designed to be less toxic and safer for use around little ones. Individual bags cost $12.27, but there is a significant price drop when you buy in bulk. When purchased by the pallet you will spend just $10.43 per bag.
- Safer Than Salt Breeder’s Preferred – Safer Than Salt also manufactures a product that is formulated to be safe for use around pets. This will prevent the irritation of your furry friends’ paws and will decrease the likelihood of ingestion. This type of ice melt is sold by the jug ($6.99 per individual jug) or the case. When bought by the case, each jug is $6.71. There are 4 jugs per case and 50 cases per truckload.
- EnvironMelt – Those with environmental concerns will want to turn their sights to EnvironMelt, which is designed to be less corrosive and less harmful to plants, trees and shrubs. While individual bags are $14.30 each, when purchased by the full pallet that price drops down to $12.16/bag.
- Calcium Chloride Crystals – Calcium chloride crystals are a great option for those in need of bulk rock salt. Calcium chloride is known for its fast-acting and exothermic qualities. In crystal form, it helps to improve traction. When buying individual bags you’ll pay $13.59 each but will pay only $12.26 per bag when a full pallet is ordered.
- Calcium Chloride Pellets – Calcium chloride is even faster-acting in pellet form. Each bag of the material costs $18.69 when less than a pallet is ordered, but costs only $17.75 per bag when a full pallet is purchased. There are 55 bags per pallet and 16 bags per truckload.
- DowFlake Xtra Calcium Chloride – Those who are buying bulk rock salt for hospital campuses, care centers and other areas where tripping hazards need to be prevented will appreciate calcium chloride in flake form. This type of ice melt can be purchased at $15.99 per individual bag, or for $15.19 per bag when a purchased by the full pallet. Every pallet includes 55 bags with 16 pallets per truckload.
*Note: Unless otherwise specified, a pallet consists of 49 bags and there are 18 pallets in a truckload. All prices may change without prior notice.
Rock Salt Not Available in Bulk in NJ
Due to strict allocations, some types of ice melt will not be sold in the same bulk quantities as normal:
Magnesium Chloride Pellets
Magnesium chloride pellets are extremely popular throughout the northeast. The fast-acting ice melt is capable of releasing heat exothermically as it forms a brine with snow and ice. In this way, the deicer is able to work effectively in temperatures as low as 0 degrees.
The fact that the material is so frequently selected by consumers paired with the harsh conditions of the previous several winters made it so that stores across the nation ran short on their supplies. This shortage has made it difficult for magnesium chloride manufacturers to build up their inventory.
Consequently, they have placed strict allocations on the quantities of magnesium chloride that will be distributed to venders throughout the US. This means that you won’t be able to buy the ice melt by the truck load this 2015-2016 season, and supplies are very limited.
Calculating Your Need for Bulk Rock Salt
Do you actually require a bulk quantity of rock salt, and if so, would you be better off purchasing the materials by the pallet/case or by the truckload? In order to make this determination, you need to have the ability to accurately calculate how many total bags your property will require. The general formula for doing so will demand that you multiply the square footage of your coverage area by 3.1, which is the amount of pounds of rock salt that should typically be applied per square foot.
This will reveal how many pounds of rock salt you need. Next, divide this number by 50 to figure out how many total bags of ice melt you should purchase. By taking a look at how many bags go into a pallet and how many pallets go into a truckload, you can make an informed decision about the best and most cost-effective way to buy.
Properly Storing Bulk Quantities of Rock Salt
After stocking up on bulk rock salt, you need to be able to store it properly or else it won’t do you any good in the long run. One of the key things to remember is that pallets and cases should be stored up off of the ground. This will ensure that, should water leak into your storage area, your supply won’t be damaged by exposure to moisture.
It’s even better to keep pallets covered with a tarp or to store bags in sealed containers. Remember, too, that you should avoid keeping your ice melt in areas where the temperature may drop below freezing, as this can result in clumping.
Where to Buy Bulk Rock Salt in NJ
Braen Supply is the largest supplier of bulk rock salt in NJ and its surrounding areas. We are proud to offer a wide selection of products that can be purchased by the pallet or truckload. We’re happy to work with you to calculate how much rock salt you’ll need to purchase to get through the winter.
You’ll find that our rock salt and ice melt is available at the fairest, most competitive prices around. Customers can pick up their ice melt at one of our convenient NJ locations, or orders can be delivered throughout NJ, NY, PA and CT.