If you’re looking for ways to increase the value of your property, the best place to begin is with your landscape. The appearance of your home or businesses property makes a strong first impression on your guests and can even affect your own opinion of your property. In addition to maintaining a well-manicured lawn, you may want to consider introducing other landscaping features as a means of improving curb appeal. Landscape river rock offers a versatile and affordable solution.
Known for its smooth and rounded texture, landscape river rock is available in many sizes, ranging from 3/8″ to 5″.
Each size group is able to perform its own unique set of functions as a means of meeting your landscaping needs and desires. The neutral and attractive color palette of these stones ensures that they will compliment any property.
Landscape river rock is extremely easy to work with, however many home and business owners are unsure of where to begin. Two of the most common questions we hear are:
- Why should I use river rocks on my property and how can they best be utilized?
- How much will this undertaking cost and how can I get the best value for my dollar?
This comprehensive guide will walk you through the steps of landscaping with river rock to ensure that the process is as smooth and seamless as possible.
Landscape River Rock Uses
River rocks have long been popular for use in landscaping applications as they can be used for a wide variety of projects. You might consider introducing river rocks to your landscape for purposes such as:
- Paths and walkways – River rocks are an excellent choice for creating garden paths or front walkways in your property. The stones are comfortable to walk upon and the variety of colors and shapes will add visual interest to your land.
- Play areas – Many people choose to use small river rocks in the areas surrounding their children’s play areas and equipment. A 2-3″ layer of these stones can be very shock absorbent, making them safe for falls. The rocks are also cleaner than other alternatives like sand or mulch and do not attract insects or other pests.
- Edging – River rock of various sizes can act as a great edging material. The rocks will look beautiful as they create boundaries at the edge of flower beds, gardens, walkways or even around the sides of the property itself.
- Gardens – Those with a green thumb will love the fact that river rocks promote healthy drainage while looking excellent in a garden setting. The stones do not decay or become infested with bugs, which makes them last longer and more cost-efficient in the long run.
- Water features – River rocks can be utilized for the creation or enhancement of wet or dry water features. These stones are stunning when grouped around a fountain, in creating a waterfall or surrounding a pool or pond. They can also be used to construct dry river beds and streams.
- Erosion prevention – For sloped yards the erosion of land in inclement weather can be an issue. River rocks make it possible to not only to improve the look of your landscape but also to preserve it by strategically placing the stones in a way that prevents erosion.
Landscape River Rock Sizing
Landscape river rocks are available for purchase in several sizes, each of which has their own set of functions:
- 3/8″ river rock – These are the smallest sized river rocks that are available for purchase. The most common use for these small, smooth stones is in and around playgrounds and play equipment. As they don’t have jagged edges they are safe for children and they require far less maintenance than other alternatives.
- 3/4″ river rock – These stones are ideal for the creation of paths and walkways as their size and smooth texture make them very comfortable to walk upon. The various colors of the stones will bring more interest to the overall look of your landscape and property.
- 1″ river rock – 1″ river rock is perfect size for your landscape as it is still small enough for walkways but can also be used to construct riverbeds and features. It creates a variety of design options for you to choose from.
- 1-3″ river rock – As river rocks continue to get larger in size they remain versatile. Stones that are 1-3″ are the perfect fit for creating a water feature that will become the centerpiece of your property. These rocks can be used to construct or enhance waterfalls, river beds and to surround ponds or other aspects of your landscape. This river rock is also the ideal size for mulch replacement.
- 3-5″ river rock – This is the largest type of river rock that is available. The larger stones are excellent for attracting attention to any part of your landscape. Many property owners prefer to use the larger river rock for creating or adding to water features like water falls. 3″ – 5″ river rock can be used as a smaller veneer alternative when compared to the typical 6″-10″ options.
Landscape River Rock Cost
As you begin your landscaping project with river rocks, it’s important that you stay within your budget. In order to do this you need to understand the different factors that can influence the price of river rocks, including:
- Size – The price that you will pay for your landscape river rock will depend on the size that you require. Generally speaking, smaller stones will cost more than larger stones as they must undergo additional screening to ensure it is the proper size.
- Volume needed – When calculating how much you will spend you need to determine how much stone you will need to use. For obvious reasons, the higher the volume of stones that you require, the more money you will need to spend. Careful calculations can help you to avoid purchasing too much stone, however we recommend that you provide some cushion in your calculations. You would be better suited to have some extra than be half a yard short.
- Supplier – The location from which you choose to buy your landscape river rock will play a role in its cost. Before rushing out to your local big box home improvement store, you should consider the fact that you will likely be charged more than the stone is worth. To ensure that you get the best deal possible it’s always a good idea to visit a river rock supplier.
By following this guide and speaking with a river rock expert, you can create the landscape of your dreams.
Braen Supply offers river rocks of all sizes at the best prices in northern NJ. Our specialist’s are extremely knowledgeable about river rock and can answer all of your questions. Speak with a specialist today to begin planning your river rock landscape.