What do you know about rock salt, exactly? Sure, you’re probably well aware of the fact that this compound is capable of lowering the freezing temperature of water, thus effectively melting snow and ice from driveways and sidewalks.
What about the distinctions between different types of ice melting materials, though? Are you able to pinpoint the product that will best cater to your needs? Do you know where to find quality rock salt for sale in your area?
Do you know how much you’ll need to buy in order to get through the winter? If you’ve answered “no” to one or more of these questions, this guide to choosing and using rock salt for sale in NJ is tailor-made for you.
Types of Rock Salt for Sale in NJ
Those who aren’t familiar with the different ice melting products may find themselves overwhelmed by the sheer volume of options. What sets one type apart from another, and why are there so many different varieties to begin with?
Depending on your home or business’s individual needs, you may find that you require rock salt that is safe for pets and children, or maybe even one that won’t end up leaving a trail of residue behind when going indoors. Each product comes with its own unique sets of advantages.
Here’s a closer look at the most common user needs, and the types of rock salt for sale that will suit them:
- Child Safety – Homeowners with children, schools, daycares and churches are amongst the many consumers who have concerns with buying rock salt that will be harmful or dangerous to use around children. If you are applying ice melt to an area where children are likely to be present, we would strongly recommend that you seek out a product like Safer-Than-Salt, which is specifically formulated to be less toxic and hazardous to children while still remaining extremely efficient and effective in terms of sheer melting power. The crystals are also colorized which makes it easier to spot areas where ice melt has been poured.
- Pet Safety – Pets are like our furry children, and there are a lot of people who want to ensure that their cats and dogs will be protected against the potentially harmful effects of rock salt or ice melt. When animals walk through areas with deicers, the crystals can stick to their paws. Once indoors, the crystals can overheat or cause chemical burning and discomfort. In addition to this, rock salt that is ingested by animals can lead to upset stomachs and other health complications. Fortunately, animal lovers can turn to products like Safer-Than-Salt Breeder’s Preferred for an ice melting material that has their pet’s best interests in mind while working wonders on snow and ice.
- Elder Safety – Those who care for the elderly and/or persons with mobility issues may find themselves worrying about potential hazards created by the presence of rock salt on sidewalks and other similar surfaces. Because pellets and crystals are not flush to the ground, they can cause some to slip or slide and lose their balance. The solution to this problem is to look for rock salt for sale in flake form. We strongly recommend DowFlake Xtra Calcium Chloride. The flakes are very fast-acting and will continue to remain in place once they have been poured which minimizes any safety risk to pedestrians.
- Speed and Melting Power – If sheer speed and melting power are what interest you the most, you’re in luck. There are tons of excellent products that are capable of working quickly and in the most extreme temperatures. Our favorite products for this purpose include deicers that utilize calcium chloride, magnesium chloride or calcium magnesium acetate. These products immediately form a brine with ice and snow which causes ice to melt quickly thusly preventing ice from re-forming later.
- Environmental Concerns – These days, many of us are interested in utilizing products which are considered to be eco-friendly. Some types of ice melting materials, however, may cause some harm to surrounding vegetation. If this is a concern for you, it’s important to find a supplier that sells environmentally friendly rock salt like EnvironMelt. The calcium magnesium acetate (CMA) used in this type of ice melt is less harmful to grass, trees and shrubs as it is less corrosive to wood and concrete. It also works effectively in the extremely cold temperatures that are common here in the northeast.
- Price – For many people, price is a major factor in selecting the type of rock salt for sale that they’d like to purchase for their seasonal needs. It’s especially important to find a material that fits your budgetary needs when you require a great deal of ice melt to get you through the winter. Halite rock salt and Ice Patrol products are well known for being low cost without sacrificing quality. You’ll find that these materials are still capable of clearing your property of snow and ice.
- Bulk Quantities – Cities, large school/hospital campuses and contractors all find themselves in need of very large quantities of rock salt each year. Due to the fact that bulk orders of ice melting products are priced lower than purchasing individual bags, it’s always wise to find a supplier that carries the materials you need in bulk. Be advised, that, at least for the 2015-2016 season, national rock salt suppliers are on strict allocation for certain products, such as magnesium chloride pellets, and, as such, will not be able to offer these deicers in bulk.
Determining How Much Rock Salt to Purchase
The volume of rock salt that you will require depends on several factors. First, you need to consider the overall size of your coverage area in terms of square feet. Then, you’ll need to carefully read the manufacturer’s instructions to see how much ice melt is to be spread per square foot.
Lastly, you should think about how much snow and ice you are likely to receive in your area throughout the season. In the case of the winter of 2015-2016, we’re looking at an El Nino year where the chances of high levels of precipitation are great. Although we highly recommend that you discuss your needs with a professional, the general formula that can be followed is:
3.1 x Square Footage of Coverage Area (Driveway, Walkway, Parking Lot) = Total Pounds of Rock Salt Required
Total Pounds of Rock Salt Required / 50 = Total Bags of Rock Salt Required
Where to Find Rock Salt for Sale in NJ
Braen Supply is the leading supplier of rock salt and other ice melting products throughout all of NJ and its surrounding areas. Unlike other retailers, we carry a massive inventory of products that cater to a wide range of user needs so that you don’t have to settle for anything less than the best solution for your property.
We offer competitive pricing on all of our materials so that our customers are able to stock up on a budget they can afford. The majority of our ice melting materials are available in bulk quantities and can be picked up at your convenience or bulk delivered to locations throughout NJ, NY, PA and CT.