Bluestone steps offer one of the best combinations of beauty and affordability on the market.
Bluestone steps are sawn and thermaled for consistency and will generally be a blueish gray tone and can be rockfaced to add a rustic look.
Bluestone steps can significantly increase the value of your NJ home by adding to its curb appeal, which real estate experts identify as one of the most important and influential factors for would-be buyers.
If you’ve got the DIY spirit, installing bluestone steps will not be an enjoyable task.
With light duty equipment and someone with knowledge of installing bluestone steps, you can put in your new steps that will last the test of time.
Installing Bluestone Steps: Materials List
You will need the following tools and materials to complete the installation:
- Bluestone steps (6″ thick).
- Rubber mallet.
- Gravel and sand.
- Tape measure.
- Light machinery.
Depending on how you plan to execute the installation, additional tools and materials may be required.
Installing Bluestone Steps: Your Step-by-Step Guide
Here’s how to install your new bluestone steps, step by step:
- Establish how many steps you will need for the project by determining the grade change from the top of the finished steps to the bottom.
- Divide the total height difference in 6″ increments.
- Establish the width of the steps that the area will allow or the desired width. (Keep in mind the wider you go, the heavier the step will be.)
- Level the grade for the first step, dig down 4″ and fill and compact with clean gravel.
- Ensure that the gravel is level and has a slight pitch from back to front.
- Install base step and use a rubber mallet to ensure that step is level and has proper pitch.
- Backfill back of step to top of base step.
- Install next step with a 2″ overhang on the step prior.
- Continue installing steps by following steps listed above until you have installed the total amount of desired steps.
- Remember to keep the height of top step below finished grade for the landing.
If you’re unsure of your ability to complete the installation of your bluestone steps on your own, it is a very wise idea to invest in professional help. Remember: exterior elements play a major role in determining the value of your home.
Quality installations, as completed by a professional or an experienced, confident amateur, can add amazing value to your home and generate a positive return on the investment you’ve made in the raw materials.
On the other hand, poor workmanship can have a detrimental effect. Poorly installed steps will diminish your home’s curb appeal, and thus its value.
The bottom line is this: unless you have the utmost confidence in your ability to complete the installation on your own, it’s a good idea to at least consult a professional before continuing.
If you have little to no DIY experience, it’s a better idea to hire a contractor to complete the installation on your behalf. Installing bluestone steps is an intermediate-level project that requires some existing skills and construction experience.
Complete Support and Product Advice from Braen Supply
Braen Supply is a leading supplier of bluestone steps in New Jersey.
Serving New Jersey, Pennsylvania and the greater New York City area, Braen Supply offers an unbeatable combination of quality and competitive prices, backed up by extensive expertise, helpful advice and friendly customer service.
Braen Supply is also pleased to offer excellent volume discounts to contractors making bulk purchases, and features delivery and drop-off services to customers located across its service area.
To learn more about our exciting range of bluestone products, or for any other inquiries, please contact us at Braen Supply.