Your home’s landscape sets the tone for your entire property. As such, a well groomed landscape can significantly increase both the esthetic and monetary value of your home.
Because of this, every material that you choose to introduce to your property plays a role in valuation and must be selected with care.
So what about paver stones? Are they a good investment for homeowners in Bergen County and its surrounding areas? How can they work to your benefit?
This post will highlight the advantages to investing in stone pavers so that you can make the right choice for your home.
What are paver stones?
Many homeowners love the look of natural stone, and for good reason: it’s elegant, tough, durable and sophisticated. Unfortunately, natural stone can be very costly and it’s simply not practical for some folks to use it for the installation of hardscape surfaces like patios, driveways, paths, etc.
This is where stone pavers come into play. Paver stones are a manufactured material. They are engineered to portray all of the beauty of natural stone without any of the variables like shape, color and size irregularities that may create issues.
These pavers are developed to provide users with a variety of options in terms of style, color, texture, shape and more. In addition to this, paver stones are also available at a fraction of the cost of natural stone, making it possible for anyone to enjoy the spectacular appeal of these materials.
What should I be looking for in paver stones?
Some stone pavers are a better investment than others. How can you be sure that you’re getting the very best materials for your landscaping project? Look for the following when selecting paver stones:
- Trusted Manufacturer – The first step to getting the best return on your investment in stone pavers is to seek out a trusted manufacturer that has a solid industry reputation. Never settle for cheap off brands or knock offs, as this will only cost you more in the long run.
- Quality Materials – It’s important to ensure that your paver stones are manufactured with only the highest quality materials. This is what will give your pavers the necessary strength to handle foot and/or vehicular traffic, the flexibility to handle temperature fluctuations and a beauty to withstand the tests of time. Never hesitate to inquire about the materials that are used throughout the production process.
- Consistent Processes – Consistency is key when selecting stone pavers for your landscape. This goes for the quality and durability of the materials as well as the overall appearance. After all, the last thing you want is for there to be serious variations in color and shape from one stone unit to the next. This will create discord in your hardscape and will detract from your property’s value. In terms of quality, consistency is essential in order to prevent some units from failing while others continue to hold their place.
- Variety – One of the biggest advantages to working with paver stones is that they offer customers many options in terms of style, color, shape, texture, etc. When buying your materials, then, it’s very important to find a supplier that offers a good variety of stone pavers from which to choose. This will guarantee that you’re able to select the stone units that will best work within the scope of your landscape and other features throughout the property. You’ll have the highest likelihood of long term satisfaction with the look and function of your pavers.
- Ease of Installation – Are the stone pavers known for being easy to work with and install? The more complex the process is, the more you’ll need to invest in labor expenses. Therefore, it’s best to find stones that are simple to install in order to ensure that the job is done quickly, accurately and affordably. No matter the type of paver, we recommend you talking to a contractor before your project begins if you have any questions or doubt about installation.
- Durability – Paver stones are subject to traffic, sunlight, wind, rain, extreme heat, cold and more. Be sure to take the time to ensure that the units you select are designed to withstand all of this so that they continue to meet your needs in the many years to come.
- Warranty – Are your prospective stone pavers backed by a lifetime warranty? Because they are designed to last for decades, most reputable manufacturers will offer lifetime warranties on products that are installed and cared for as directed. This will further protect your investment and ensure that you’re able to enjoy the pavers for many generations.
How can I protect my investment in paver stones?
Upon installing your stone pavers, it’s important that you take certain measures to ensure that the units continue to look and function beautifully in the many years ahead. Here are a few tips for caring for your paver stones:
- Apply a Sealcoat – One of the smartest things you can do to protect your stone pavers is to apply a sealcoat to the surface of each unit. A good sealant will act as a safeguard against stains, discoloration from the sun’s UV rays and rain, and any potential issues with moisture. Depending on the brand, you may find that specific sealants are recommended to go with the paver stones. Be sure to read and follow manufacturer specifications about using these products. Generally speaking, you’ll need to re-seal your paving stones every 1-2 years.
- Follow Instructions for Stain Removal – In the event that something is spilled on your paver stones, it’s wise to act quickly. Although a reliable sealcoat will halt the process of allowing foreign substances from seeping into the stone and creating permanent stains, you want to remove the culprit from the area as soon as possible. Most paving stone manufacturers will provide you with tips on how best to address stains. As a rule, you’ll want to avoid harsh chemicals in favor of diluted solutions of soap and water. Gently applying this solution with a soft-bristled brush will help you to care for the stone.
- Adhere to Winter Care Guidelines – Never spread rock salt or another chemical ice melting product over the surface of your stone pavers without first reading manufacturer guidelines for winter care and maintenance. This will ensure that your paver stones don’t become discolored or otherwise damaged from an incompatible material. You should also find out whether or not it’s safe to shovel or plow over the surface of the stones.
Where can I get the best prices on paver stones in Bergen County, NJ?
For decades, Braen Supply has been recognized as the leading supplier of stone pavers throughout Bergen County and all of NJ. We have established strong partnerships with some of the top paving stone manufacturers.
As authorized dealers, we are able to provide our customers with the latest products and the most accurate information on the installation and care of stone pavers. Our team of experts is happy to work with clients like yourself to ensure that you walk away with paving stones that will meet your needs and desires.
All of our materials are competitively priced, and we offer paving stones that are suitable for any budget. Our stone pavers can be picked up or bulk delivered to locations throughout Bergen County and NJ as well as NY, PA and CT.